Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Cross=Perfect Example of Love

A friend of mine, Jordan Weeks, just unofficially (but soon officially) dropped out of school partially because he thinks God gave him a big prophetic word, and partly because he thinks his major is stupid and he doesn't care about it.

Here's the thing; his parents aren't going to be okay with this. And he's not willing to deal with that. He has kind of a rebellious high schooler perspective on the idea of respecting your parents. After having dinner with the three of them, I realized that he feels kinda suppressed by them, and he doesn't think they can understand how he thinks or what he's doing.

As for his big revelation, he spends a lot of it dealing with love as an abstract idea, and since he doesn't think of the Bible as a baseline standard upon which everything else should be based, I wasn't really able to offer opinions or advice. I mean, my reading today in 1 John basically just said over and over that Jesus/God is love. That if we wanted a picture of love, all we had to look at was Jesus on the cross. And no further.

Jordan Weeks is quite possibly the most talented person I know, who is likely to waste much of what he has if he doesn't get the Bible as a baseline of truth. I suppose he'll switch religions if he doesn't. What a thing to  think.

In another part of my life, the crush tried to make a comeback. And I seriously considered the idea of considering the idea of trying to date. Then I asked God if He was okay with that, then realized that God wasn't the one who initially pushed me in that direction and guided me through. If He isn't in charge, I'm gonna screw it up (and I probably will anyway). I need to follow His direction.

No comments: