Monday, November 10, 2008

Reminiscing


Cold, rainy days are good for reminiscing, right? As it happened, my dad was cleaning some stuff out, and he came across an old camera. He tossed it to me and I discovered some pictures of me back in my most awkward phase. In all my years, I avoided feeling out of place by thinking, for a time, that I'm a loner. My mom once told me that, like my oldest brother, I don't need friends to keep going, unlike some people. I let this define me for a time, and I soon found that loners have a hard time having close friends. Not because loners aren't likeable, but because loners isolate themselves, whether consciously or unconsciously. I've learned to be better at making friends, but I have a lil' subconscious worry wort in the back of my mind wondering whether I'll be making the close friends that I have desired.

2 comments:

Kate said...

from the view of another loner: don't be afraid of this characteristic. It can be a great strength. I have plenty of friends but I can also work well on my own, which gives me the independence that people-oriented individuals lack.

bri said...

dang, this really hit home with some things I was thinking about this past afternoon.