Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Down A Level

I was at my locker today, and I saw Sydney at hers next to me, so I said, "Hey Sydney," to which she replied, "I was standing here five minutes ago and you didn't say a word!" I, rather than face the fact that I may very well have ignored her, asked, "Do you need a hug?" So we hugged and she said, "Woah, you went down to my level. That's way better." My hugs are normally coming from quite a height.

This is what earns the most respect from me when it comes to leadership. The best preachers that I know of always bring themselves down to a level of, "I'm only human; I'm right on your level." I once prayed with Jed at a leaders meeting when he was still asst. youth pastor, and when we prayed for each other, we were both going through the same thing. When Pastor Benny Perez spoke at YFN, he talked all about his insecurities regarding his unhealed body, while the bodies of everyone around him were getting healed.

If you want to gain respect, go down to the level of those you want respect from.

4 comments:

Kate said...

A wise word. Kudos.

Kate said...

The first thing i drop is sleep.
Then eating.
Then workout.
Then my grades.
Then friends!
haha.

But i pretty much always show up to workstudy.

Rebekah Michaele said...

hmm. very true

Rebekah Michaele said...

haha. that was actually just a metaphor.. i'm not literally waiting for something in the mail.