Tuesday, February 4, 2014

To Die

Maybe it's kinda creepy or weird, but I've always had this peace about dying. As a Christian, I know that as long as I don't suicide my way out, I'm headed straight to heaven. There isn't really a downside on my end. Most people are more than happy to remind me that my family will be all down and out, as will close friends, but I just find it hard to see from that perspective. When any Christian dies, they go to hang out with God. That's what happens. So I usually feel happy for (or sometimes jealous of) good people who die off "before their time". My ideal death will be any time between when I leave for Europe and the age of 35, preferably by martyrdom.

And it's with that perspective that I have done a lot of daydreaming about the possibility of getting mugged. If I am able to stay in remotely good shape while traveling, and it's only one guy I'm up against, I figure that I can probably do pretty well, as long as I'm just trying to escape. If they have a gun, I'd probably just have to give in. But if it's a knife, I'll be packin' too. I took enough self-defense classes that I'm sure I'd stand a chance. And if worse comes to worst, I'll die. Best case scenario, I'll have an awesome story.

Make plans like you will never die, but always be ready to move on to bigger and better things if death comes at you sooner.

No comments: