Saturday, February 1, 2014

Luke 7:33-35

My Macbook was in the shop for a few weeks (and is currently back in the shop AGAIN). In this past month, I also took over the job of a medical assistant who quit working at our clinic. She gave no two weeks notice, just quit and left before the day was done, and I had to take over her job. And continue doing mine. And this is how we are now behind. However, I spent this past week training two more MAs, and both are good replacements for their jobs. I have trained my replacement and, unsurprisingly to me, she is by far the most capable one I've trained, and credit of course goes to her degree in theater with an emphasis on stage makeup.

The more important lessons I've learned come from *SURPRISE* the Bible. In Luke 7:33-35, Jesus compares His ministry with John the Baptist. Now, I've been questioning myself lately on whether I've chosen the best crowds to hang out with. Most of my time is spent with family and often friends of family, who are good people but also have lower standards in a lot of ways. I found myself second-guessing myself on whether bad company was corrupting my good character. However, I noted that none of my standards changed, that I was exactly who I was even when I was in a less-than-ideal environment. And in that passage, Jesus talks about how John the Baptist didn't drink wine or eat bread, yet Jesus did plenty of both, and hung out with sinners and tax collectors and adulterers as well. Yet both were effective in their ministries. And Jesus, as luck would have it, also happened to be the Messiah.

That's one important thing about going to bars and clubs and things, I think. It's fine for you to go as long as you hold yourself to your standards and be who you are. If you're gonna go grinding on people and getting all sexual with it, best to stick to places lacking in that temptation. But obviously, that's just a matter of how sure you are in your standards.

No comments: