Thursday, February 27, 2014

8 Days

I leave for Europe in eight days.

After daydreaming/dreaming of going to Europe again for the years since I last visited, I'm finally going back.

This past seven or so months have been very difficult for me. The transition is a difficulty in itself, but what I think made it all worse was that I had no real distraction. Just studying and stressing for the MCAT, then working a job while waiting/hoping for interviews with med schools, and playing the waiting game. Studying for the MCAT makes you want to throw away studying for awhile, so I lost the habit of learning, my favorite thing. All the things I wanted to do when I graduated became pushed aside. Whenever I had spare time, it was used to try to relax or forget the week or socialize a lil'. I didn't write much or read. I just let the little I had occupying me do so completely, allowing my small problems to be the biggest problems in my life. When your biggest problems are your own, that is the biggest problem of all.

So all the times I said "no" to friendship or going out or spending a lil' bit of money to meet people, all in the name of saving up for future travels, it has led to this. I have a plane ticket, a budget, a new GoPro camera, and a pocketful of curiosity, though my shoes are a tad soggy with apprehension (just loving the metaphors here).

No comments: