Tuesday, February 4, 2014

That Debate

I watched the debate tonight between Bill Nye and Ken Ham regarding whether 7-day Creationism is a credible method of science (or something to that effect). And it was certainly difficult to watch how Christianity and science were forced to be opposing one another, particularly when I've spent so much time struggling to discover how they could mold together in a beautiful picture.

An important point made by Bill Nye several times was that if current scientific theories could be proven wrong with just one piece of evidence, science would change. My first class in freshman year, Cell Biology, we were constantly taught that in the scientific community, anything disproven is thrown out. Science is a wonderful self-refining thing held accountable by a world full of people seeking truth as we discover the world God created. A friend of mine brought up the other day how Christians tend to have this mentality where they think that the scientific community wants to shush all Christian influence, to shut us up if something discredits a seemingly contrary belief, especially evolution. But as Bill Nye and my science professors all said, BRING IT ON. PROVE CURRENT SCIENCE WRONG SO WE CAN FIX IT!

It wouldn't be such a problem if there was less of an agenda out there on the side of Christians. Unlike the rest of us Christian scientists who can admit that there might be a better theory of creation that we haven't found yet, these Creationists seem to tie their theories of how the world began with their faith in Christ, kinda implying that those of us who are Christian and believe otherwise are somehow worse or mislead. Honestly, it feels like I'm being called Jewish or something, in that I'm close "but not quite there yet".

In 2011, I went on a mission trip to the Philippines, and there, our host actually became offended at me when I told him that I didn't believe in a 7-day Creation. He informed me that he taught the Creation class there, but he was unwilling to hear me out on why I questioned it. Because Christians can't bring up real questions when observable things in the world around us bring them up. Because THAT might conflict with a very particular "literal" interpretation of the Bible.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Hi there! I've commented on your stuff before, and I couldn't help but mention that I, too, watched the debate.

However, I walked away with a sense of pride in what Ken Ham had to say. He truly brought forth a valid argument, that neither Creation nor evolution can be proved, but rather, our present circumstances can give way to one or the other, depending on what viewpoint you take. Truly, if you do not want to believe in evolution (or Creation, for that matter), then there will be no way of convincing you, even if the evidence is clearly there. However, what Ken Ham said truly laid down what I believe, and I endorse everything he had to say.

I felt as if Bill Nye wasn't truly listening to the evidence Ken had brought up. On the flip side, though, Ken didn't answer any of Bill's questions, either, and I think that might have had a lot to do with the time constraint each one had.

Regardless, I have a hard time understanding how someone, such as yourself, who claims to be a Christian can also not believe in a literal, 7-day Creation. The Bible is the foundation for Christianity. Is there a reason why you don't? I'm not looking to start an argument or a debate. I'm not the debating-type, but I'm just curious. :)