Sunday, February 9, 2014

Speaking In Belarus

I missed today's Belarus meeting since I was in Arkansas, but I stopped by to sign visa stuff and talk trip itinerary with the team leaders tonight. The master planner, Anna, asked if I wanted to speak at the church, and for how long (10, 15, 30 minutes, etc) and I told her that, especially with a translator, I can speak as long as she needs me to. This isn't that big a deal to me. I mean, speaking in front of a pulpit is always a huge privilege, but I feel that I'm pretty prepared for these things, having sermoned before. However, there will also be a leaders' conference at the end of the trip, and she asked if I would speak at that as well. "Just something on leadership" was the request.

I've never been asked to speak at the conferences because the last time I went on these trips, I was still in the middle of college and we also had a few extra pastors with us. The point is, though I said yes, I don't have the utmost confidence in my abilities in that arena. With congregations in the church, you can preach about life and inspiration and things but man, teaching leaders is a whole other ball game. It's teaching people how to teach, how to lead, and although I've done some of that relationally over the past few years, I haven't done much of it. Not being in ministry tends to inhibit many opportunities. And, let's be honest, so does tunnel vision. I was focused on school so much that everything else had to take a back seat, including those I might have effectively ministered to.

Anyway, enough about my insecurities. I have a sermon to prepare.

No comments: