Thursday, January 19, 2012

Can't Comprehend

When there's talk about all the poor people in other countries or the sex-slave industry, I kinda tend to tune it out a lil'. It's not 'cause I don't care, necessarily; it's 'cause I can't do all that much about it. In fact, until I do missionary work, I feel like a quickly evaporating drop in the bucket.

But there was that moment when I got to meet the Kenyan boy our sunday school had supported. He was too cool for us, but it was still pretty mind-blowing. And though you hear about people whose only possession is a ramshackle house made of tin, it's hard to grasp that it's all they have. Like, even when you're looking at it, walking through it, it's not something you can really take in. I have my iPhone, my Macbook Pro, my multitude of odd collections at home, my clothes, and the 'dupid things I buy simply because I think they're strange. I mean, some people don't have access to clean drinking water. I know people who refuse even to drink from tap.

It's too much for me to comprehend. I'm just hoping that someday, when I'm living in another country and working as a doctor to do everything I can to help the native people, I'll somehow be able to swallow exactly what it means to have very little, and to help everyone around me to have similarly little (which will be a lot for them).

No comments: