Thursday, November 2, 2017

Social With Studying

The way that I have heard medical school described, it seems as if life is on hold. That has felt true. But people also live a little. They have social lives. This is an aspect that has been notably missing from my journey. It was the same issue that I ran into after graduating from university, namely that I do not know how to meet people and be social outside of church or school. And since church has been unsure territory, and my schooling has been independent for the last year, I have remained without a method of meeting people.

Much of this has been due to the studying. Any time I spend going out feels like it takes away from my time studying. I really do not know how to balance studying with, you know, not. It tends to feel like it is all or nothing. I am back to living at home, and when family offers to go out to dinner, I tend to reply in the affirmative due to hunger, but then do lose hours of study time. But I also know that if I do not go out, that is detrimental to my studying too. I suppose that it is just a game of constantly relearning to balance and discipline oneself. However, I am afraid to jump back into the intense studying again. I was studying for 10-12 hours per day without much difficulty, but the stress hormones that allowed it made me lose weight (and a little eyebrow hair).

I suppose that I must attempt to finish getting some studying done tonight before I debate whether to have a beer or to have a sober mind to listen to God. We will have to see what wisdom lies within.

No comments: