Sunday, November 5, 2017

Finally Went To Church Again

In my attempts to gain clarity to ask God about a certain lady, and in the subsequent overwhelming deluge of revelations (with little bearing on my attempts at a divinely approved romance) regarding a potential bar ministry to reach my own age group, I have ironically been avoiding the sauce. Well, I have at least refrained from purchasing alcoholic beverages for now. Drinking alone at night drowns out not only your own thoughts, but also the prayers that should be such a regular part of life.

In any case, I went to a wedding yesterday and began drinking in the late afternoon, not leaving until night was very much upon us. It was the wedding of a crush I had through junior high and high school, and it was genuinely nice to see them off. There were many delays in proceedings, but the bar was open for all of them, so I had consumed something close to five glasses of wine before the end. However, I was also there for a similar number of hours, so do not panic. The combination of that wine along with dancing on the exceedingly buffed floor resulted in me finally going to sleep at a decent hour and able to wake up for church.

So I attended church today for the first time in a long while. It is a small Methodist church just a few minutes from my mom's house (where I currently reside). It felt as if a quarter of the congregation was a part of the service in some form or another, and I am pretty sure that my voice was the only audible one off stage during worship, but it was still pleasant. People were impressively responsive to the pastor's impressions of characters from Finding Nemo, which he claimed was the best Pixar movie (even after mentioning The Incredibles, but I have hope that he chose the other option exclusively because of its relation to his sermon). At any rate, I was just content with the fact that they did not become political. The crowd seemed very much of the variety that would adore Trump, but as long as I do not know about their political leanings, I can still appreciate the place of worship.

No comments: