Monday, November 13, 2017

Forgivable Turn Offs

There are a few small comments over the past, well, months or year that have made me change my "turn offs" from ladies. Given that my standards seem borderline impossible in the modern world (despite being kind of normal to me), being able to discard a few things is kind of a relief.

I always thought that I would have to end up with someone who was very quick-witted. Aside from it being a mark of intelligence, I consider it to be like an accent; I do not really know how to talk without it, at least not for long. But I mentioned that I liked someone who is not necessarily known for being funny, and a friend was confused as to why that was a requirement. And for whatever reason, that was when I reconsidered. For one thing, humor is perhaps the only realm where I can get competitive, even to the point of being childish. So being around very witty friends, while usually a pleasure, could become difficult from a relational point of view. Bearing this in mind, and the fact that less witty friends have become more witty by hearing me express my humor around them, has convinced me that humor perhaps does not necessarily need to be a particularly notable quality in a future spouse.

Another one came about when I mentioned to my mother that I liked a girl, but she kept posting pictures of herself hunting or some such related activity. This was a turn off for me, partially because it is a more traditionally masculine activity than any in which I have gravitated towards, and also partly because I struggle with the idea of killing a bug, much less a deer or other more noble creature. My mom explained that these hunting habits indicated that the lady in question spent time with her father. This to me translated to mean that she would be bereft of many of the daddy issues that tend to plague the attractive ladies in whom I am likely to invest interest.

So the narrow spectrum of perfect human specimens has widened ever so slightly. Maybe I will figure it out before I die.

No comments: