Friday, March 28, 2014

A Wee Edinburghian Update

I haven't been writing all that much, at least not on here. I didn't feel quite right, since I hadn't really been living life for the past...ummm...since I graduated last May. I did hop over to South America, but that was just a breath of fresh air in between taking the MCAT and starting work at the neurology clinic.

But I've sorta given up on the video editing I meant to do, which takes a weight off my shoulders. I've been budgeting well and am learning to pull a Paul and be content whether in plenty or in want. I've been exploring Edinburgh and enjoying the richness of the history and culture here. And the walking. And hiking to the top of the nearby extinct volcano to Arthur's Seat. Not only did I make that hike, but I feel particularly accomplished in having taken my Macbook and electronics with me. In order to avoid being a burden at all to hosts, I tend to keep everything I might need for the day on my person. To keep myself from spending money, I also haven't left with more than ten pounds on me. That's around $18. Unfortunately, despite attempts to avoid doing so, I tend to spend at least $12 a day even when trying to be very thrifty. And that's in addition to the granola bars I've been ingesting pretty constantly. I am on the verge of running out of these small snacks though, and will soon have to find more.

It's just starting to feel so right, my time in Europe. I'm starting to feel freedom and security in a way that I really hadn't when traveling in the past. One reason, I think, is that I've been trusting people far more than I was ever willing to before. I always keep an eye on my stuff, but not like I used to. I don't suspect every single person I meet to take advantage of me. They're people, and the vast majority are filled with good will towards other people. Hand you my phone to take a picture? What if this whole situation was just some ruse to steal my phone? Leave my bag with my GoPro sticking out while you take the picture? What if your offer was not one of kindness, but made to steal a $500 camera?

Here's the thing. I want to meet and understand people. Sometimes I don't think other people are particularly intriguing, but that is usually an opportunity for me to test myself in my ability to bring something more out of them through our interactions. This makes most every interaction worthwhile, because even if the other party seemingly communicates nothing of real worth to me, I can still derive something from my own reaction to that. I believe that people have more within them than they often know or realize. The problem is usually that they haven't yet figured that out or been told so.

I had a macchiato from Starbucks and my body doesn't know what to do with this much caffeine, so my fingers are on a writing spree.

No comments: