Saturday, March 15, 2014

March 8, 2014 in flight from NY to Frankfurt

It's the first day of the big journey, and it has indeed been a long day. An hour of sleep the night before leaving, then maybe an hour or two since then. I'm currently flying over the Atlantic Ocean, about to pass over Ireland on our way to Frankfurt. I've had the pleasure of sitting next to two Scottish lasses on this flight, and their accents remind me of why I dreamed up this expedition in the first place. Meet and interact well with people of other cultures, and experience real freedom in traveling. I've been worrying so much about finding places to sleep and such when really, The Lord will provide as long as I am willing and able and active. 
I've been stressing about everything from packing (turns out you can bluff your way through the carry-on weight trouble) to preaching the morning after we arrive in Minsk to whether I've even been a good enough Christian to be an effective missionary this week. But if I take a lesson from the very sermon I'm preaching, we are credited righteousness by faith alone. As long as I put my complete hope and trust in Christ (and, of course, recognize my vulnerabilities therein), He will use me as He wills. 

Pastor Nick had told me once that he can't help talking to people about God because when they ask what he does for a living, the conversation naturally turns to matters of faith. I've found similar results with regard to this trip. I've also found that if I try to be friendly and start conversations, the conversations always flow well and I make friends. A year ago, I was unwilling to be so comfortable in conversation, but after working as a medical assistant, I've learned to guide encounters to be pleasant for all involved. 

The best part of all is that feeling that creeps up once in awhile when I stop on the plane or am preparing a sermon; this is what I was made to do. The distractions and stress have been too prevalent for me to feel it as before, but it's there, and I'm excited to live it out. 

God wants to do much with me this week, as evidenced by how much the Enemy worked to stress and distract me for the two weeks preceding the trip. 

No comments: