Sunday, December 11, 2011

Social Network Relationships

Do you ever think it's weird that you can be online friends with a person, but not real-life friends with them? I have a few friends who are that way. I've even tried bridging the gap a lil', but often to no avail. I have friends who were once exclusively online friends, who I Facebook messaged with, and we got along great. But in real life when we try to hang out, they pretty much can't stand me, and can't seem to understand why we were friends in the first place, excluding the obvious reason of overlapping friend groups.

And there's another friend who has never said more than a greeting to me in real life. This friend reblogs my stuff, "Likes" loads of my social networking things, and yet five minutes around her while we waited for a mutual friend were some of the most awkward (for everyone else) times.

Then there are those social networking friends who I grew close to through chatting on Facebook, then we hung out in real life and got along great.

Some people claim that social networks take a lot away from face-to-face friendships. I think that people are the ones who take away from those, and social network is just another excuse.

No comments: