Thursday, September 22, 2011

Well-Rounded

So, I am a fan of the concept of being well-rounded, and it's not just 'cause I'm a tad on the skinny side.

A year and a half ago, I was virtually tone-deaf. Then, my friend had me tune his guitar in different ways just so I could learn which notes were higher, and which lower. Now, I'm getting ready to do a one-hour worship set before Thanksgiving. And I'm leading the vocals for the most part.

Two years ago, I knew absolutely nothing of video editing. Then I got a Macbook Pro and made a video blog called LondonSmith.com. This summer, I was able to make videos for a youth event in the Philippines, then another one to summarize the 8 1/2 hours of footage from the missions trip into five minutes. And it looked good.

I'm a pre-med Biology major and my best subjects are history and English. But thanks to being well-rounded, I will never be restricted to just one important field of work. I will be as useful as possible wherever I go, and that means I get to be a blessing wherever I go.

So whenever you can, to the greatest degree you can, learn. Even/especially if you know nothing about what you're going into.

1 comment:

Ash said...

I'm becoming a pretty big fan of your posts. I really like this one in particular because I think a lot of people really don't think this way. I notice that most people just stick with what they're good at and kind of avoid the rest.
I know a guy that would never dance whenever our friends would go out. All of us would be having a great time and he would just be sitting at a table all alone. A few times I offered to dance with him, hoping he would feel less nervous about it. Every time he would say, "I'm just really bad at dancing. I can't do it." Last year he decided that he didn't want to be sitting on the sidelines just because he wasn't a naturally gifted dancer, so he began taking modern dance classes. Now, when we go out, he's the best dancer in the whole club. People come up to him all night and say they wish they could dance like him. I'm so proud of him for having the courage to learn something he thought he'd never be good at. You never know until you try.

-Ashley
Wonderful in Progress