Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Rolemodels

I've accidentally stumbled upon different comedian-documentary-type movies lately, namely Man On The Moon, in which Jim Carrey portrays the life of comedian Andy Kaufman, and then Conan O'Brien's Just Can't Stop. I relate a lot to Conan, as he's the only tv personality I feel a great similarity to (though Jim Carrey used to be my rolemodel in that respect).

These guys are so incredible though. They work so, so hard to make everything the best possible thing it can be, whether it's a joke, a performance, or whatever else. And one thing Conan said in the movie struck me a lot. He said he talked to a fan who said that his friend had tried to talk to Conan, but Conan blew him off. Conan replied, "That is impossible" in the most serious manner, 'cause he really does do so much to make sure he can do something to thank his fans for their support, even though he just got done jumping around, singing, dancing, and sweating for hours.

After going on the missions trip to the Philippines this summer, I got a taste of the great ideal life I could live as a missionary. Being well-rounded means that I will be able to help with as many aspects of ministry as possible, from bringing practical relief through medicine to dancing to editing videos to leading worship, and to whatever else I can manage to learn. And throughout, I will need to be as energetic and friendly as possible, because I want to represent Jesus properly. The life I'm excited to live is also the most exhausting and trying life.

Things I legitimately plan to learn when I have the time, means, and inspiration: web design, After Effects, guitar (maybe piano), popping/tutting/shuffling/dubstep, audio tech soundboard junk, to use DSLR cameras, to use professional video cameras, necessary languages (but that's in the future), basic construction skills, basic car repair skills, different wines and alcohols, to do good accents, and probably a world of other things I can't think of or don't know about yet.

No comments: