Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Embracing A Pet Peeve

As this is my blog, which I am giving myself free reign with, I am going to publish something which is a pet peeve of mine when it comes to everyone else's blogs. Poetry. For this assignment, we were to use a news article as a jumping point. I've been to Kenya, where the droughts are apparently awful now, so the Maasai tribe has begun fighting wildlife for water, and that is what inspired the poem.


Livestock Battle

The men claim to be other than brutish beasts,
Yet it is as plain to my eyes as the burning sun above
To which kingdom they belong.
They are animals.

Crouching around the watering hole,
With sharpened wooden teeth in hand,
Keenly watching through the tall yellow grass,
They hunt.

Though they pretend to own their thirst,
Their thirst consumes them.

At least we admit what we are,
We drought-driven wildlife;
But they refuse such confessions
And claim to be “better than animals.”

Though my trunk touches the ground,
And my thirst consumes me too,
And though I’m as big as a house,
I’m still more human than you.

No comments: