Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Results of Reading Wrong


Here was my problem weeks ago, when God and I ran into trouble. Yes, it takes me this long to figure these things out.

"Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed." -Proverbs 15:22

"for waging war you need guidance, and for victory many advisers." -Proverbs 24:6

Waging war = large undertaking. My particular undertaking, as I recall, was my college and major. When I looked at that verse, I saw that to have victory, I needed many advisers, so, like I tend to do when I get/think I get a word from God, I ran with it. I got myself a bunch of advice from all different kinds of people, and guess what happened? First, I questioned my path. Alright. Second, I questioned my intelligence. Bad. Lastly, I questioned (to God) whether or not I could do what God wanted me to do. Worse.

See, I skipped over the first part of the verse, "you need guidance." That "guidance" isn't a multitude of counselors. It's also not, as is beat into me over and over again, a prophecy. "Guidance" comes from God, and those whom God is speaking through. Friends who God speaks through a lot won't ALWAYS have God's plan for you in mind. Even if they do, THEY aren't YOU. It's YOUR life, so listen to God on it. It sounds simple, but for me, it was profound.

Once you get the "guidance" and put together what Proverbs 15:22 calls your "plan", THEN you're ready for your advisers and counselors. 'Cause that is where they'll be able to help you the most. In the DETAILS. The big picture, the plan, the overhead, is for God to give to you. And for you to seek Him for.

Can you tell I'm back in my Word?

1 comment:

Rebekah Michaele said...

simple. and profound.
God's awesome like that.