Tuesday, August 13, 2013

When To Quit

Last night, I experienced my second Monday working a full-time schedule at the neurologist's clinic where I work. Because we share an office with a cardiologist, our hours are weird. Weird enough that I work an 11-hour shift on Mondays. It. Is. The worst.

I have to leave before 6 AM to get to work on time (an hour away), so I start my day an hour and a half before dawn. Commuting adds an extra two hours to each day.

I'm not getting near as much patient interaction nor doctor shadowing as I had wished. I am also getting paid far less than anticipated.

I have friends in clinical settings that can help me get a replacement job, and have offered to.

With this in mind, I was thinking of all the reasons to quit on the way to work today. But of course, quitting sounds irresponsible and, well, like a quitter, so I just gave it to God and was like "Well, you gave me this job, and I know you have me here for the time being, so work things out the way you want to" and went to work. There were arguments between the doctor, office manager (those two are married), and my supervisor in one of the patient rooms DURING CLINIC HOURS. They were yelling for some 10-15 minutes while patients were expected to arrive. Fortunately, no patients arrived on time. It came to the point that afterwards, the doctor walked out and told us to cancel clinic today, followed quickly by the office manager telling us not to cancel anything. It was while they yelled at each other that I felt more peace about quitting the job. The office manager, my boss, was upset with everyone all day. I made an easily-corrected mistake in not getting enough patient information for an appointment, and the office manager told me he'd have to write me up, and if something like that happened again, they'd have to let me go. This was my first time scheduling an appointment for a new patient by myself, and the situation was easily remedied.

I'm in the "90 day introductory period" to see whether I'm a good fit for the office. I'm not that desperate for this job. I'm doing it because "neurologist" sounds impressive, but my livelihood isn't on the line and God is lining things up for me. Once I find another job (and actually collect a paycheck from this one) and can be sure that I'm not leaving them in a bad place in terms of help they need, I'm going to better work.

Oh, also, my youngest sister broke into my mom's house today, haha. I'm supposed to replace the deadlocks on all the doors now.

No comments: