Thursday, August 22, 2013

Treasures In The Mind

Maybe I'm a hippie at heart. Maybe I just like to finally get paid for what I do. Maybe I'm just getting good enough at my job that I don't dread it so much. Maybe I've settled into the fact that I won't be able to do anything after work besides eat and sleep in order to do well the next day. Maybe I like the people I work with and the patients too much. Maybe I don't think my boss will let me work less hours without just firing me. Maybe working for a neurologist WILL look impressive to medical schools.

Whatever the reason, I'm keeping this job and also finding a way to learn Spanish and possibly French. Night classes are full since classes start next week. Groupon has a 70% off deal for Rocket Languages. It has good reviews. I need to learn Spanish for next summer's mission trip, but I also may need to know some French for a trip to Europe early next year with The Duke of Norfolk.

I guess everyone has the desire to leave everything, but I most definitely feel it pressing on me, the need to drop whatever I've got going and just fly to Europe and wander. After I get into medical school, it will be difficult to work up the nerve for it, but I will want to quit everything and live out some dreams for awhile, even if only for a few months.

I feel knowledge leaving me already. When studying in Italy, our professor's wife, who had majored in history, said she didn't remember much anymore. The idea of forgetting the treasures I've learned terrified me. It terrifies me now. I must keep pushing myself to learn more. Otherwise, work will be all there is.

On the bright side, I am making time to daydream. Before bed, on the way to work, and especially on the way home from work, I daydream. I let my mind wander. It feels like the healthiest possible thing after I have to discipline my thoughts all day at work to focus on the tasks at hand.

No comments: