Sunday, August 11, 2013

Unpleasant Encounters

My youngest sister got into the house today. Whether I forgot to lock the door or she somehow got in through the garage (there was evidence of attempts at the latter, but her claims favored the former), I came home to her inside. She is no longer allowed in my mom's house, and neither are her friends. She claimed to be back for her clothes because she had run out, and I told her that she couldn't do this anymore, that she couldn't just come into the house. When it was obvious that I was trying to usher her out, she started yelling at me.

Because she tells lies about and is rude to my mom, effectively trying to disown her, I had texted her to either stop calling herself a Christian or we were done talking. I had thought of apologizing, had even begun the texts, but I realized that my convictions really did line up with what I said. I struggle enough as a Christian that manages to respect authority; I don't want my sister cussing people out, doing drugs, possibly having a mental disorder or demonic possession, and claim to be representing the blessed Savior, Jesus Christ.

So she yelled at me that I had said she wasn't Christian. I told her that that wasn't true, and then she quoted the text to me, which said what I'd meant. She said the same thing again, that I had claimed she wasn't a Christian, and I replied the same way. Then she screamed at me that I'm not God, that I can't judge her, that it's not my place, f*** you, and left.

When I called my mom about it, one of the things she asked me was whether I felt safe. And I realized that if my sister brings some thugs over, even her boyfriend, I might need to be able to do something. I thought baseball bat, then my brother said a gun would be better. We are in Texas, after all. (From Dr. Seuss's "I Had Trouble In Getting To Solla Sollew")

The good thing about all of it is that I currently have an enemy greater than my apathy (in the words of Mumford and Sons), which means that I have accountability. I like that.

No comments: