Saturday, August 10, 2013

Internship With A Neurologist

I finished the first week of my PAID internship at a neurologist's office. And it has sucked a lot. It's only bad 'cause I'm still getting used to it, and they're pretty harsh on me to try to get me prepared for when I become sort of an assistant to the new PA. I love being around medical stuff, but the majority of this now is just office work with just enough medical stuff to make me feel in over my head. I'm terrible on the phone, but I'm now making calls to patients about their radiology and lab reports. Plus, I have to answer the phone too, and since I know very little about medications, scheduling, and how the office works, I often panic and have to pass on the phone call to someone else.

The biggest perk of the job is getting to work with patients. Patient interaction is what medical schools want, and that is precisely what I get much of the time. I give MOCAs, the Montreal Cognitive Assessment, which is basically a short -term memory test (you can Google it).

It takes me an hour to get to work and an hour to get back. Two hours of my day go towards the journey. I had missed commuting. It took me 45 minutes to get to my high school, so I had learned to utilize the time well. I would begin my day with worship and prayer. So now I'm trying to get into that habit again, but when you have to wake up for work at 5 or 7 AM, it sucks. I already miss the old me that had the chance to stay up late and sleep in.

Anyway, each morning tends to consist a lot of me mentally preparing myself to face everything. As an intern, anything and everything is my job, and I'm always too slow at all of it. Just frustrating for now.

No comments: