Saturday, August 10, 2013

My To-Do List For After Graduating

I made this list for after graduating and after I'm done with classes and all that. Complain though I might about having a paying internship, I treasure the ability to finally have these within my grasp.
  • Go to a park and people watch.
  • Go to a bar and people watch.
  • Write. Write poetry, stories, blogs, whatever. Write.
  • Read books for fun.
  • Read that history book from college that you didn't sell back for this very reason.
  • Weekend road trips to new states?
  • Learn languages (Spanish, then French, then the world is your oyster)
  • Try to cook or bake a thing.
  • Visit museums.
Okay, I found a few new ones on another blog.
  • Buy a packet of 3 x 5-inch notecards. Carry them around with you. Always. Record cool stuff. Awful stuff. Daily. Review your card pack every Sunday. 
  • Buy a $2 notebook. Title it Observations I. Start recording. Now. Anything and everything.
  • Get up from your couch. Now. Take a two-hour walk on the beach. In the hills. Whatever. Repeat . . . once every couple of weeks. (Weekly?)
And another blog.
  • Take an hour and make a list of everything that's important to you. Add to it everything that you want to do in life. Now cut that list down to 4-5 things. Just the most important things in your life. This is your core list. This is what matters. Focus your life on these things. Make time for them.
  • Life isn't all about fun and games. Suffering is an inevitable part of life. We lose our jobs. We lose our lovers. We lose our pets. We get physically injured or sick. A loved one becomes sick. A parent dies. Learn to feel the pain intensely, and really grieve. This is a part of life -- really feel the pain. And when you're done, move on, and find joy.
  • Try something new every weekAsk yourself: "What new thing shall I try this week?" Then be sure to do it. You don't have to learn a new language in one week, but seek new experiences. Give it a try. You might decide you want to keep it in your life.
The point is, I can't stand the idea of allowing my life to drift anywhere near to dread for my day-to-day or monotony. I've already made paper eyes for the shredder at work and my coworker and I named him George. The little things can be (and often are) the most important.

I bring this up because I've already found myself desperate enough to escape my current world that I started playing an RPG on my porcuter. It does the trick, but after playing for a any real length of time, I feel like I threw that portion of my life into an empty thing. Leisure time with a lil' discipline can make that into time invested instead of just hours floating away, unfulfilled.

No comments: