Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Possibilities Of Leaving

This week will be murder. Each day I work will be an eleven-hour day plus the two-hour drive, so work will occupy 13 hours of every day that I work. I want to quit pretty badly now. I might be let go first though, 'cause on Friday, they remembered the reason they were able to start paying me at all, namely that I had obtained my phlebotomy certification online. Unfortunately, when I asked them if I could do clinicals there and they said "yes", I assumed that they meant that someone would be able to supervise me, and they assumed that I could just begin doing it with what they had. They have no one to supervise me and I don't feel comfortable taking blood with the equipment they have, not without seeing it done first.

So now I'm debating when to tell them that I don't think it's a good fit. I feel just a tad dishonest about waiting until after my paid week off next week, but on the other hand, I've put in enough unpaid hours to have earned that time, since my on-the-job training was unpaid. My dad advised me to wait until I have another job lined up... So now I'd like to find a part-time job close to home that's even remotely related to medicine, then put the rest of my hours into shadowing doctors, volunteering, and taking foreign-language classes. Not to mention finishing med school applications and editing that video from the Colombia trip...

No comments: