Thursday, August 15, 2013

Not H8ing, Not Quitting Yet

Yesterday was my first day not wanting to quit my job. Maybe that's because Mondays and Tuesdays are earlier days, making 7 AM seem like sleeping in when Wednesday rolls around. Maybe it was because Wednesdays are also slow, or because I got off work over an hour early because the doctor's mother died and she had to leave for the funeral in San Antonio. And it could also just be because I'm getting used to answering the phones. I'm not very confident with it and I hate doing it, but they're making me do it more so that I can become more natural at it.

And my social security card did come in the mail yesterday, so I can legally be employed and, therefore, actually receive money.

The primary reasons for my wanting to quit are the same though: not enough patient interaction nor doctor shadowing. I didn't even check in a patient yesterday, nor have any patient interaction at all beyond check ins/outs. Granted, that will change once we get a mid-level neurologist and I am their medical assistant, but by that time, I'll be past my 90 day introductory period and unable to quit a job without it reflecting poorly on me. In fact, this 90 day period is kind of a sham for me, 'cause a lot of my problems with this job are supposed to change at the end of September.

For now though, I'm just going to be talking to people and browsing jobs online to find a part-time replacement that's hopefully closer to home so I can shadow doctors and not worry about pay. And until I can find something else, I'll work at this neurology clinic with as much excellence as I can manage.

As my coworker told me the other day, "Oh, you're gonna violate HIPAA. Just you wait."

Next week is supposed to be awful though. Working all hours, basically just coming home in time to sleep, and continuing like that and getting the following week off, giving us a very extended Labor Day weekend.

No comments: