Sunday, November 13, 2016

The Youth Dissuaded

I went to a wedding last night and reconnected with some old friends. It has helped to talk this stuff out with a friend who feels as I do about the election, specifically with regard to Christianity. The white evangelical church apparently voted with significant enough numbers that they decided this election. My friend and I both struggle with the fact that the Church seems to specifically push forward agendas that are contrary to the teachings of the Jesus. We both lament that the issue of abortion seems used as a device to cheaply win over a large portion of voters who would not otherwise support a given candidate. (As one who was staunchly pro-life before taking medical psychology and ethics classes, I can assure you that both sides have very valid points. But when I took my own personal reflexive opinions out of the picture, I found that such a difficult ethical issue should not reach a verdict until the doctor and patient discuss it. However, this does remain a heavily nuanced topic, so I will not begin to presume that my reasoning skills surpass that of others. I would simply request that those of opposing views display the same courtesy in return.)

And we both feel uncomfortable with the Church as a whole, along with our local churches right now. He said that he had noticed it around six months ago. I have felt it since my return to the States as I tried to reconnect with the Christian community after two years away from any real ministry involvement.

Since a social media post would invite ridicule or would seem a cry for help, I instead must speak to my local pastors at some point. This is for the purpose of warning them. If I, an educated upper middle class white man, feel uncomfortable with the church's support of such a symbol of racism (and a long list of other issues), it seems unlikely that this or the next generation of young people would think the church a welcoming, judgment-free place. If I were on the fence regarding Christianity, this election would almost certainly have pushed me away from Christ. And I certainly would not wish to visit a church if my skin were not white. And if I were a Muslim curious about the Christian faith, I would anticipate being treated like a criminal. I cannot imagine how embarrassingly hard I would have to try to make one of my Muslim friends feel comfortable in a church setting, especially the friends who wears a hijab.

My position must be careful though. It cannot be one of blaming people. There are those on social media who are claiming that Trump supporters are outright racists, or unsaved. I, however, believe that Jesus died for the sins of all, and can also see the perspective of being all in for even a chance at a pro-life vote despite everything that comes with it. And I can understand the distrust for the opposition as well.

Rather, my position is one of victimization and lamentation. I have staked much of my life, my story, and my passions in the Church and the hope that it brings. And I believe that this hope belongs to all people, that all people have a right to the opportunity of receiving it. But I see a Church that will deny social and civil issues (and, in doing so, support the continuation of those problems).

The Church that I love is one that I cannot bear to look at.

No comments: