Tuesday, November 22, 2016

An Open Letter

Jon Stewart recently made the good point that we can't judge every republican based on Trump's worst characteristics. It is true that calling every Trump supporter a racist bigot is going too far. That being said, voting demographics show that white less educated America was willing to overlook a lot of faults that no other demographic was. This is likely because white people were the only ones not targeted by Trump. To many of us, that level of callousness is tough to see as anything but (at best) a willingness to tolerate racism (and all the other -isms that Trumpism has acquired).

When it comes to the nation as a whole, it seems unfair to cast blame or judgment for this. After all, our nation is diverse in beliefs and values, which is something to be appreciated. However, since data indicates that the white evangelical church likely managed to turn the vote in Trump's favor, an issue begins to arise. Unlike our incredibly diverse nation, the Church is meant to be ruled by sets of values and teachings laid out by Jesus. So when one candidate embraces ideals and rhetoric that are antagonistic toward the ideals and rhetoric of the God we as Christians worship, a problem arises. (If anyone is in disbelief regarding the contrarian nature of the Bible with Trump's rhetoric, I would be happy to supply verses in this regard. It is not difficult.)

If the Church is willing to openly endorse such a man as Trump, along with all that comes with him, then this church is something that I cannot affiliate with as a Christian. There can be forgiveness, but trust has largely (and justifiably) been lost. If ever there was a question as to why or whether a younger generation in the Church was being lost, an answer is present herein.

I fear that much of the Church's witness was traded away this election.

And for anyone to use their political party as an excuse, that comes too close to idolatry in my mind. I changed parties when one strongly went against the teachings of Jesus (and my beliefs as a scientist and American).

To clarify, it is not because Trump votes were votes against my choice of candidate. It is specifically because they voted for Trump. I see no fault in third party voters.

To add a subjective view, which is shared by most that I've talked to about it, I have felt uncomfortable at church this election season. Given my understanding of who my church's congregation likely voted for, there are inherent implications. I would feel more comfortable visiting a mosque with a Muslim friend than bringing a Muslim friend to my own church. For this and related reasons, I have found myself unable to attend church for the past couple months.


I don't WANT to blame the Church. I love the Church. But because of my fellow evangelicals, I don't recognize the Church. And I don't relish trying to defend my Church's actions next time I try to share my faith with my Muslim friends. Or Mexican friends. Or female friends. Or any minority.

However, the purpose in this is not to condemn. That too would be contrary to the purposes that Jesus has for us. Rather, I share this in order to point out the issue. Pastors and leaders would be wise to evaluate the damage of their (and all of our) witness due to the choice of the white evangelical church in this election, and then reform as needed. It is difficult to see racism and mysogyny when you are a white male, but it is very present and, like most evils hidden in darkness, it must be called out in order to prevent the further spread of infection. In all of this, we may be thankful that Jesus remains constant throughout.

No comments: