Saturday, August 30, 2014

Internet On The Island

Today was another day of the slow countdown to our doomed destinies that will be revealed to us on Monday at orientation. I slept in while my roommate began doing his Allah-friendly dawn prayers. It's kinda funny to me, 'cause he definitely likes to sleep in. Myself, I pray whenever and read my Bible whenever and occasionally pop into church. But Jesus is a bit of a different God from my understanding. I woke up to the sound of internet. The provider had finally come and now our room was incredibly popular because we were the only ones with internet access. My life was changed as I was finally able to post things to Instagram and Facebook and text with my friends on a more consistent basis, and I stopped worrying about how I was going to get the money from my U.S. account to pay for my dorm, 'cause apparently online banking is a thing here, but the local bank teller didn't seem to know that much about that.

There are two other Christians, both Eastern Orthodox, and though a few things about their denomination are iffy to me, I'm pretty happy to find whatever kinds of Christians I can.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to go to church. But considering that I don't know where any protestant churches are or when they start, I'm not getting my hopes up. Maybe I'll start a Bible study. Who knows?

My roommate learned today that I'm introverted, and, being extraverted, he doesn't know how to deal with me. I'm a new creature in his world. He doesn't realize that it's perfectly fine for me to go back to the room while everyone is hanging out and just read a book by myself. Or, if everyone else is around, for me to just go for a walk. In fact, I think I'm the only introvert here. Everyone is trying to be friends with everyone at all times. I hope this internet shuts them up so I can be alone and study forever...

No comments: