Tuesday, September 2, 2014

First Day of School

Orientation was yesterday. It was a relief to see that this place was run by real people who knew what they were doing.

Classes began today. I had a leisurely wakeup upon finding that FCM (Foundations of Clinical Medicine, or Playing Doctor) would not begin until next week, so classes started at 9 AM instead of 8 AM. Unfortunately, the shuttle bus that was responsible for taking us to class did not show up. At all. Three buses were supposed to drop by as we waited, but none did, so we walked the 40 minutes through tropical heat to class. The bus driver apparently experienced a combination of "forgot" and "thought he had already gotten everyone with the first pickup". In any case, I now know that I can walk to school, which is something.

Histology was the first class of the day, and most of it was spent with the professor telling us why Histology was worth learning. To clarify, this was a 2-hour class, and she only began to actually cover material in the last 20 minutes.

I have to remember with all of it that lots of these guys got into this school 'cause it has lower standards. That's how I got in. Unlike many of them, I have a strong science background, and, particularly during my last year, I took a lot of classes that prepared me strongly for this beginning medical stuff. So the first few days will understandably be frustrating for me.

That frustration left, however, when I entered the Gross Anatomy classroom. At first, everything seemed kinda basic, but the professor elaborated on the most basic things and there was far more to those things. All we have to do tomorrow is know what most should already know, but the day after that, we have to know SO much already. And really, Histology/Cell Bio should get more difficult tomorrow, and WAY more difficult after that.

With the newly-arising difficulties in mind, I began working out again. I was tired of waiting for the expensive gym at school to open ($50 per semester and they hardly had anything), so I downloaded a workout app and did a quick 7-minute thing and then went for a run. I need to get a better track to run and better ab exercises, but aside from that, it was an okay workout. Working out helps to keep me disciplined, and since I need that, regular exercise is necessary.

During my jog, I realized something. I learned in Europe that I can't make my Christianity a secondary thing. I tried to to some extent, but God is just too big in my life. He does so much. So unlike my last year of college (my best year academically), I need to learn to make Christ the center even in the midst of studying hard. Ignoring Him never helped me, and I'm doing all of this on His orders anyway, so I should be worshiping Him with it.

No comments: