Sunday, August 24, 2014

Impermanence

Friends and I talked today about the future since I'm a few days from shipping off. I told them that I won't be a real practicing doctor till I'm at least 31.

We all want to build up a community of close friends and family. We all want to easily have a go-to group that we could raise our own families with. But as for me, I feel too impermanent. Eight months working a job, three months in Europe, three months at home, then two years on an island, two years in whatever locations my clinicals take place, three years (minimum) residency, and then I get to start working as medical missionary. Which, as it happens, will also involve a state of impermanence as I go to work in needy areas, likely for months at a time.

I just feel like all I usually have is God and myself and occasionally I get to see a good friend. Those occasions will be further in between now...unless med school is full of people like me. But we all know that I'm a bit of a mutation that isn't likely to see a double anytime soon. And that's probably for the best anyway. I can hardly deal with one of myself.

No comments: