Thursday, August 14, 2014

What Can We Do?

My brother and I were discussing the events in Ferguson, MO tonight, and we each had very different approaches. His thoughts were to this effect: someone high up is pulling the strings, everything would be better if everyone had guns, and some other conspiracy theorist things. It led me to further develop my own thoughts.

Our founding fathers spent FOREVER trying to make a constitution and form a proper government that would have the greatest chance of success, avoiding corruption. This is why we have checks and balances. However, as can be found in one of the Federalist papers, the last check on the checks and balances that isn't as official or well-known is the people. The people have a voice. Not just a voice, but a responsibility.

My view in the face of injustice (and justice too) is that each of us has a chance to do the best that we can with what we have. To the best of my knowledge, our votes still have value. So do our actions. In this day and age, our social networking voices can be heard. People can make a huge difference if they just try. If we just try. If I just try.

I learned from my parents' divorce that blaming does no good for anyone. If you view people as people, blame doesn't hold well for the accused or accuser, 'cause who likes to just yell "YOU DID IT" at someone who knows and understands that they did it? Instead, we need to look around us, see what each of us can do, and do. Because if we don't, the world will get worse.

No comments: