Friday, September 1, 2023

Scene By Scene

It is so hard to make myself go through this rough draft to make a scene-by-scene outline. Even if Cameron came around and decided to help, this thing requires organized structural changes, which is my strong suit, not his. In fact, from talking to him about it, it sounded like he was only really up for improvising things, for punching up what was already there with one-liners. Which of course is also more my strong suit than his. And this is just the latest opportunity that I have tried to hand to him, what with podcasts and standup comedy workshops that he has turned down. With regard to the script at least, he has said that every time he considers looking at it, he is too drunk or high for it. It reminds me of what Steve Harvey said to Jerry Seinfeld on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, that he does not know of any successful comedians who smoke weed.

I can hardly blame someone for being a real person about these things, but unlike him, I do not have an alternative plan. He should have just declined, but instead, I waited a little and let myself be a little upset. But I now know that I will most likely have to rewrite some, get this outline in order, and then pitch it to one or two other friends I know who do work hard and similarly do not have much of a life outside of the performing arts.

We have one family connection with a big time director in Hollywood, but only my mom and older brother have met him. She has sent him clips of me and he has been responsive, but ultimately, I do not know how to get from where I am to being on his show business radar. All I know to do is keep writing and acting and submitting to jobs at my level.

No comments: