Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Pilot Mostly in the Can

We shot my part of the pilot! Light was failing, so we will be reshooting a brief portion of my role, but most of it is in the can. Then in a few weeks, we will have a wrap party for the pilot, and then, from what I understand, we will be shooting as many episodes as we can before SXSW, which is where they plan to premiere the first episode. And they said that we would be streaming, and since they were supportive of the strikes, I assume that it is part of their own streaming service.

Downside is that if we make more episodes before we show it off, I guess I could reasonably expect to continue to miss out on residuals?

I felt pretty bad about my performance. How many times did I rehearse that script, only to flub lines when we did it for real? I felt so amateur, as did my scene partners. But the director repeatedly said that we were fine, that he was getting the shots he needed. And then of course my character's romantic interest was incredible, crying on command, and that admittedly helped me to stay in the moment a lot more. I am used to thinking about how actors these days have scene partners consisting of a tennis ball on a stick, but it truly does change things when you are looking into a tearful pleading face. In any case, imposter syndrome is reportedly quite real. Jake Gyllenhaal said that right after doing a one-man show, he did the Spider Man movie and flubbed  his lines. I just need to use this imposter syndrome and redirect it toward trying to do better.

Tomorrow is a foreign film dub session, then my short horror has its red carpet premiere in a week and a half, and the following week, I am performing my contortionist dance routine for a variety showcase. So at least I have a few things coming up to scratch that performing itch. But my short-term goal was to get this pilot of mine written to a decent draft by the end of the month, and I am halfway through, so if my podcast cohost is not on board, I need to reach out to a different friend to get help with some of the dramatic portions.

No comments: