Friday, September 19, 2014

First Step In the Impossible Promise

In my rereading of the New Testament, I've been brought once again to the beloved passage which inspired me through so much of my undergrad education, Romans 4-5. I preached on it in multiple countries as well, though with a degree of fear because it's a faith-based sermon; I haven't entirely seen its fulfillment in me. I don't like to speak about unverified things with such certainty, but hey, that's faith.

In any case, it got me to thinking of the next portion of the Scripture. A fair number of the doctors teaching us casually refer to their god complex. They learn so much and think so highly of themselves that they have to frequently emphasize to us the negative effect it can have. Our Foundations of Clinical Medicine professor, in particular, said that he told his wife that his practice comes before his marriage. Later in that lecture, he would refer casually to his current fiancée. I'm not banking on being perfect husband material anyway (history of divorce in the family), so the last thing I need is all that.

So the next part of the lesson comes in. Romans doesn't cover it as much, but in Genesis, after Abraham is given the promise (paraphrasing a LOT) that Jesus and the salvation that comes through Him will be one of his descendants, Abraham is asked by God to sacrifice his son. This son was the fulfillment of the promise. The first impossible step of the huge impossible promise had already been given to Abraham. And he was commanded to sacrifice this promise fulfillment. Abraham showed his willingness to obey and God once again allowed him to keep his son.

God has shown me the first impossible step of the huge impossible promise He made to me, that I would be a doctor. I'm in medical school. I have my first big tests on Monday and Tuesday. And my head has already gotten a little bigger because I'm good at some things that others seem to be struggling with (and vice versa with other things, but that's beside the point, or maybe makes the point?). All of this is still God's. Whatever achievements I've made up until now, whatever I think I've learned or obtained or done, it's all God's. And if I don't give Him the first fruits of every bit of it, I'm screwed. So I need to give Him every little fulfilment of promise He gives to me, because it's all His, and He's the one shaping everything into what He wants.

No comments: