Monday, November 25, 2013

Distance To Grow

I went to the wedding of some wonderful friends and many of my closest Arkansas friends were there as well. I drank far too much and was a lil' sickly the next day #Christian, but that's beside the point. One thing that came up was the fact that most of my friends who hadn't graduated are finally doing so next month, and they are realizing the weight of it. This naturally reminded me of the weight of my upcoming likely decision to attend medical school in the Caribbean for two years. I don't see good friends very often, but when I do, it's everything. And I'll be leaving it all. Unlike with studying abroad or living out of state, I don't know how often I'll be able to visit. Plane tickets aren't cheap and med school students don't have the time to spare anyway.

The friend who was emphasizing this the most, Tara, apologized to me as soon as she saw me this weekend, because she has been too busy for friends, but got upset with me my last semester or two for doing the same thing. It stanks, 'cause I wish that I could have spent more time with everyone, but I know that it wasn't right for me to do, that I did what was necessary to make a better future me.

It's weird, 'cause I'm not as cultured or creative or well-rounded as I'd like to be at the moment, yet I also feel like I've had the best character for the past few months. Work has been tough at times (though fine now), but I pushed through all of it.

However, I still often long to escape. I want to take a road I don't know while driving home and just go, even for just a little while. But then I think of how I have to get up so early to make the hour and a half commute the next day, and I decide to just take the normal route. And the only reason I even feel so obligated to make it to work on time is because there are patients depending on me. And I know that I'm the person people will want to work with because I work well, and I shouldn't squander excellence when I have the potential to let it benefit others.

Oh, and I have a med school interview in a week with Ross University School of Medicine. It's one of the Big Four in the Caribbean.

No comments: