Friday, April 6, 2012

More Useful Single

I talked to my youth pastor for what I assume was the last time before he and his family move to California to help plant a church. We talked about life and many facets of it, but one part of our conversation has been coming to mind. He was just talking about how he wouldn't have planned it this way, to be unemployed with a wife and three kids and move to California. I agreed with him, emphasizing the wife and children.

Then he reminded me of 1 Corinthians 7:7-8 where Paul talks about how it's much better to stay single. He said that without the family, he would be just fine with driving to California and sleeping under a bridge if that's what God said, but with the family, it changes everything.

And that's why I remain single. 'Cause for all my talk about how I'd be more useful in so many other places, as a missionary or whatever, I wouldn't be so useful without being single. The more I want to do for the Lord, the less outside myself and Him I should have to worry about. That means that I kinda need to remain single.

Apart from that, there's also the fact that I always consider myself to be too much of a work in progress, too unstable. I avoid thinking about asking God if I can date someone, 'cause I feel like it'd be much too easy for whatever good thing I'm in with God to become something seasonal, and I don't plan on letting a future girlfriend have to deal with a season Christian. That'd be the worst.

No comments: