Friday, April 10, 2009

Prom and Senior Trip




I haven't even looked at the Christian Homeschool Prom pictures yet, but I didn't have too much fun there anyway. Surprised? I was too.

The senior trip, however, was INCREDIBLE. Jordan Wood, Daniel Lewis, Preston (my brother), Victoria Blanc, Priscilla, Alexandra, my mom, Sydney, Elinor, Alyssa, and Alyssa's mom all went on a cruise. The first night, Jordan and I were careful to get together and discuss standards and pray and whatnot, 'cause we didn't wanna do anything that we'd feel guilty about later, but it turns out that that wasn't even a temptation. My brother, Preston, got a lil' tipsy that night, and was the only one to do so the whole trip. While we played Craps, he kept winning, and when I would ask him to return my room key, he kept pulling out $20s and asking me how much he owed me. He later fell asleep on the top deck. Jordan and I had never been so discouraged from getting drunk in our lives. I'd be much happier to get drunk on the Spirit any day.

The next day, sun day, was a night at sea, and a formal night. We all dressed up and made friends with a photographer, who particularly liked me, 'cause I brought a cane and tophat, and he rarely gets to work with props. Beginning at midnight that night, the dance floor at the "Stripes disco" opened, and I did some fun dancing there. I also developed a fan base of a few friendly girls, who I attempted to teach a few moves to. I love my rare opportunities to dance in a tux.

Monday and Tuesday were spent in Progresso and Cozumel, Mexico. I got to have my first real body massage ($10 for a half-hour), followed by a banana-boat ride and general beach time. I also got my much-desired cowboy hat, and a nifty Mexican-style hoodie that looks too big on anyone who wears it.

Wednesday was our last day at sea. I lied to our group and told them it was a formal night (even though it was "cruise casual"), and, being the foolish believers they were, everyone dressed up. We got good pictures of the seniors, which are being scanned (since we were too cheap to pay for a $10 cd) by another family to share later. Then I hit the dance floor again, which was great fun.

The trip was great. Daniel Lewis got to talk to Sydney and Elinor a lil' more personally, and they, especially Sydney, opened up to him. Sydney was definitely a favorite on the trip. She was really balanced and knew her boundaries and stuff, but was still plenty of fun. I got to learn a lil' of why each of them stopped going to church, and even though I don't know all the details, I don't blame them. Their main problem was with judgmental people.

I also got to develop an opinion on drinking. Drinking for good taste is alright with balance, but drinking to get drunk is retarded. The Bible wasn't hiccuping when it came up with that rule.

And I do better with gambling when I'm there to have fun and make everyone else have a good time. I lose money when I think of how much I can make. I tried to include God as much as possible, but it was weird. I kept thinking I heard the Spirit telling me to do things while gambling, but I was a lil' conflicted about it, so I just copied Daniel Lewis's bets.

I got an acceptance letter from Boston University. What a surprise there! It's pretty much out of the question, being twice the cost of JBU, but I still am unsure where God is sending me. It was unexpected, for sure.

EDIT- As per request, the Facebook link to the rest of my pictures. More to come from other cameras. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/album.php?aid=71390&id=631798935

2 comments:

Kate said...

sounds like you had a lot of fun! I'd like to see more pictures...

Andrew said...

I had to scan this one. Its a little too long to read right now, I might be back to read it later.