Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Without Car Or Cardio

A week and a half without a car. It is rough. I have not done any real cardio since then, and workouts are never as thorough without a trip to the gym. Cardio is an antidepressant for me, so some days are harder now than they otherwise would be. The pilot that I have been writing is at around 40 pages, and so much of it needs to change, but it is so intimidating in its current format. I have at least two characters that I want to see more of, but how do I bring them back in? And when? I wish I had a writing partner who was on the same page as me, especially someone who wants to write and direct while I write and play the lead.

I would likely have started donating plasma again just to pay bills, but I cannot even do that without a car. So for now, the focus has been on writing more standup. I just keep trying to churn out one-liners every day, and hopefully that will pay off at some point.

Now that I have some idea how to turn anecdotes into standup, I do want to build them into a fuller act. At first, I just wanted to do the Steve Martin style, but as he said, it took a decade to build up that material. So pulling from life experiences rather than just a collection of nonsequiturs is likely a more realistic way to start. My idealized style of comedy is not necessarily what I get to start with.

No comments: