Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Was Paul Wrong in 1 Corinthians 5?

Feeling a tad better today. Unless a social event intervenes, I think that I will go back to working out every other day, since I apparently have renewed need for an antidepressant. And it will get in the way of social events because the temperature reaches 100 degrees Fahrenheit, so prime time to go jogging is around 7 or 8 PM.

Two weeks from today will be my last official big day of studying. So now the focus has turned from trying to study everything to trying to study the shelf exam quizlets, in large part because I had to do the same thing for my shelf exams after the usual practice test questions became too difficult, specific, and discouraging.

I was reading 1 Corinthians 5 today and I found myself disagreeing with the Apostle Paul. He talked about expelling from one's company those who are practicing sexual immorality, and the basis for the argument seemed to be that it would undermine the message that Christians profess. However, I would contest that this is the very criticism which Jesus received, that He spent all of his time in the company of drunkards and prostitutes. Furthermore, in my experience, being friendly and nonjudgmental of slutty friends allowed me the privilege of speaking God's truth into their lives much more once they finally recognized the lack of fulfillment brought on by that manner of living.

This really has been an issue for me lately, the question of whether certain mannerisms and traditions in the Bible, even in the New Testament, are practical, either in the sense of normal living or in the sense of effective ministry. I try to always show love to friends regardless of my perception of their soul's state regarding salvation or the sinful life through which they seem to wade, and from what I have been able to ascertain, they appreciate me and my approach.

Though the Apostle Paul certainly painted a beautiful understanding of theology and the intertwined significance of the Old and New Testaments in relation to Jesus Christ, I cannot help but feel as if some of his approach is what brought about the legalism in Christianity which sometimes may not agree with the approach that Jesus utilized during his ministry.

After all, would the Apostle Paul have approved of Jesus keeping the company of drunkards and prostitutes, thereby acquiring a poorer reputation through affiliation?

No comments: