Saturday, November 29, 2014

What I'm Learning From Ferguson

I often like to say that my family is racist and sexist and also offensive to other cultures. But really, that's not quite true. See, for the most part, my family is like me. While we do get caught up in white privilege and whatever, that's more of a surface-level thing, a superficial social mask like when guys manage to have full conversations consisting of "hey bro what's up" and such while never actually communicating an idea. It's just a social thing because we've all talked to black people and people from other cultures, and we would therefore have to be idiots to think that they are in any way inferior to white people.

But what I've seen more and more is that the current culture isn't like my family, That superficial social mask apparently isn't a mask at all; it has become deeper than that, deep enough to penetrate their actions towards others.

So here's why I hate this racism.

I love to make racist and sexist jokes and belittle other cultures that are foreign to me. Because we all know that we're all human, just with different cultures and bodies.

But somewhere along the way, people apparently forgot that different people are still people, regardless of how different they are.

And because of this apparent loss of critical, fundamental knowledge, I can't make the same jokes. The jokes I make that should in reality be making a mockery of myself for judging on such unimportant attributes instead become cruel jokes at the expense of others because so many people do, in fact, judge based on such unimportant attributes.

A person's a person. I thought we all learned this from Dr. Seuss, but this whole Ferguson ordeal is showing that a great portion of the world is still quite juvenile in their thinking.

No comments: