Monday, November 10, 2014

Oh Oh Oh... (We're Learning Cranial Nerves)

Another of these awful back-to-back test weeks. Last weekend was spent studying for the hardest classes (Histology and Gross Anatomy). This past weekend was spent studying for Embryology. Though embryo should really be easy, it is taught by a professor who doesn't really teach. He just reads off the slides in no particular order. Maybe I failed, maybe I passed. I'm tired of making that a consuming part of my mind.

So now we have two and a half weeks until the next exams, which happen to be the last exams before the finals, which are cumulative and are followed by shelf exams. Shelf exams are from the actual Step 1 exams, questions recently discarded to make way for new questions. In this way, shelf exams are actually kinda the best assessment for us on how we're doing in terms of preparation for the test that will push us toward being real doctors.

I say all that to say that we finally get to party a lil' this weekend. Karaoke on Friday baby! I befriended the IT guy (not that hard since we're both white, a kinship formed when you're in the minority for the first time) and he sent me a schedule of weekly events, one of which is karaoke.

Oh, also, it's really difficult to be in school without having a crush. I just can't even remotely consider anyone here, not really. Race, culture, religion, drinking habits, and level of attractiveness are all big factors, of course, and this isn't the island to find the perfect match for those. And since God has done a remarkable job of crafting me into a (kinda) good student and a stronger Christian while I've been here, it's not like I'd be likely to even pretend to go for any kind of fling. I must admit, I like to flirt like cray-cray, but this just isn't the place or time in my life. I have to be stiff with women here. Both because I'm attractive and don't want anything to happen and because I'm a witness. As one of maybe 30-50 Christians (possibly a generous estimation) on campus, I am the only Jesus some of these people are ever going to see. And it's a burden. So it's hard to keep my last thoughts at night as pure as they should be, though I mostly do, which keeps them from getting into my subconscious and therefore my dreams.

Being a single Christian male is rough, and my guess is that I've got years left to go in this capacity. Because I'm not willing to settle for anything less than precisely who God has for me.

No comments: