Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Only Cure

In terms of sleeping schedule, the last two weeks have been awful. My first alarm is at 6:45 AM (which means I'm getting up at 7 AM) and I can't seem to get to sleep at a decent hour the night before. It's usually not till 1 or 2 AM. This leaves me tired, struggling to stay away and attentive through nine hours of class time on campus. So I'm naturally completely destroyed by the time I get home, even though I need to be reviewing the day's lectures and prereading for the next day's (not to mention reviewing the past week's). So when Friday hits, I'm relaxed and overjoyed because I can finally sleep in, allowing me to have enough rest to actually study well.

It should be understood, by the way, that I've never struggled with sleeping. Only with waking up. But my roommate wakes up at dawn to pray and I'm too aware of everything that is, so I'm not able to sleep all the way through the night without a few wakeups. Once again, super weird for me. I don't usually stress out, but maybe this is stress?

I made an 80 on my Embryology exam (2 points below class average), which means I'm still doing pretty well. I have big tests (that I'm currently studying for) on Monday and Tuesday, namely Histology and Gross Anatomy. After I get feedback from these, I'll have a real idea about whether I'm doing med school right.

It's been super encouraging to consistently do as well as my peers. It felt like that was never the case in college, owing to my excellent education and my being a less than excellent student.

Back to my sleeping issue. The main issue, I think, is the roommate. Not his fault, just the fact that I need my own private space and can't have it. Aside from that though, I also found that I have nothing to daydream about. I obviously don't want to think about classes while sleeping, but I don't have a lot of other outside input. I watch Scrubs while eating, but that's a medical show. So the majority of sensory input in my life comes from medical or sciency things, and those do nothing for a good night's sleep. So sadly, my mind often turns to dirty or sexual things, which stinks, 'cause I know that my mind can be pure if I'm disciplined enough. But hey, I'm working on it. My mom advised that I take benedryl at night (melatonin hasn't done the trick), so I'll try to get that in town next week. Until then, liquor is the only cure I've got.

No comments: