Sunday, July 6, 2014

Oh Right

The big issue with having lots of time is that it becomes like the concept of infinity/eternity. You feel like you can keep wasting it and nothing will happen. However, something does happen. It slips through your fingers.

For, like, three straight weeks following my return from Europe, I drank every night so I wouldn't have to bother thinking about any of it. This, of course, is a fool's way of dealing with a life-changing experience, but my American life of plenty was like coming up for a breath of fresh air after staying underwater, and I kinda hyperventilated. I wanted to hang out with close friends, but I forget who they all are (my memory is bad enough without being out of the country), and they all got jobs or married or pregnant or something.

So I hang out with my unemployed older brothers who spend their time playing computer games and building flying drones with cameras mounted on them. And they're mostly lazy. I can be lazy too 'cause I put money away, but I do not wish to be so.

This past weekend was 4th of July weekend, during which I hung out with my dad's side of the family. My grandma was disappointed in me for not being in school or studying, and my aunt and uncle both laughed in my face when I told them that when I had my job, I was overworked and underpaid. This particular aunt makes $1 million per year. Yes, she's in the 1% that American media likes to talk about and she lives in a $900k house in Florida. We got along on an evangelistic level, when we talked about our faiths and why it's important to understand other cultures and religions, but when it came to work or education, she dismissed...well...me.

I need to get back into all of my routines (particularly working out) and not drop them every weekend like I've been doing. I only do so because I'm away from the gym or privacy for a workout, but I could probably afford to make it a bigger priority. After all, I'm not allowed to shower unless I work out.

No comments: