Monday, July 21, 2014

Pre-Doctor List

Most people/sources will tell you that you cannot really prepare for med school. However, one of the pieces of advice I've read about preparing for med school struck me as being very important and useful.

Writing down goals for myself as a person. Med school changes a person. I'm about to be immersed in an entirely different culture. I'll be on an island 2,368 miles from where I currently reside. I will be studying a LOT. I will likely only see my friends about once a year. My focus will be ENTIRELY on medicine.

So what's important for me as a human? Honestly, the last two years have done a lot to wash away many of my previous aspirations. Becoming a good student made me sacrifice a great many friendships, as did working my full time job and all of my traveling. Working that job, I occasionally compromised on work ethic principles. Traveling for three months in Europe, I made moral compromises to sorta even things out rather than just turning the other cheek and trusting in God. These things have already made a difference in my character that I need to continue to work on.


  • I've always wanted to write a book on humor and an autobiography. The problem with both is that they are kinda always a work in progress and though my noggin might have a book's worth of stuff in it, maybe it'll read better if aged well.
  • I want to build a somewhat permanent #blanketfort in my room as soon as I have a somewhat permanent residence somewhere, but probably only when I get back to the States due to shipping costs. I've built one before and every time I lay down in it, I relaxed to a degree I've had yet to feel since. After going home for the holidays, I was shocked at the difference from sleeping in my own bed at home to sleeping in the #blanketfort.
  • I want to read books for fun. I took this habit up again during my last year of university, which was also my best year academically. But beyond helping academics, a good reader is a good writer with a good vocabulary and, in my opinion, extra neurons firing about.
  • I want to figure out what I believe concerning complex theological questions and arguments. While backpacking in Europe, I learned that just because I haven't found good answers to my questions doesn't mean that there aren't answers out there worth hearing. Just because they aren't important to your faith doesn't mean they won't be important to someone else's. And it could be that one thing that gets them listening to this whole deal about Christ crucified and risen again.
  • I want to know my alcohol and be good at drinking it. I've visited wine regions in France this year and plan on visiting Napa Valley next month. I doubt whether I'll ever be a connoisseur, but I'd love to be. And, of course, I'll get to know rum while I'm in the Caribbean.
  • I want to go on a road trip with friends and/or (maybe) a significant other and every time we see a cool road or stop on the side of the road, we can have the freedom to take that turn or stop there or whatever. With a tent or car bed or something so we always have a place to sleep no matter what.
  • I want to go on couples vacations with my friends who are dating or married or whatever. Ideally, I would also be dating or married or whatever as well.
  • I want to further develop my good taste in fashion. I always made it a point to look good, which contrasted greatly with my peers in the science department. I would like for this trend to continue, despite the effect my backpacking through Europe had on it.

No comments: