Friday, April 11, 2014

Learning And Learning

I haven't been updating regularly. I haven't even been recording video regularly, and most definitely haven't been editing it. I'm currently in Vienna, Austria, drinking an unfiltered beer called Schladminger. It's pale and rich (something I hope to be someday), and, due to my travel diet of not much, I'm feeling a little buzzed from only drinking a little bit of it.

I've been more concentrated on budget than on most anything else, which was okay until now, because I was in cities I've already been to for the most part. Now I'm hundreds of dollars under budget, which means that I don't have to worry much anymore. I'm gonna party tonight a lil', then a lot tomorrow night to stay up all night, then board my train for Bari, Italy. Then depart for Patras in Greece like 12 hours later, then from Patras to Athens for a few hours, then to Santorini for like 4-6 hours via ferry.

It's so amazing to live off the kindness of strangers. I found when I had a flat that I very much like to host. I like to offer food and drinks. I'm a poor chef but I enjoyed serving people and being able to have something to give. I think it's with that mindset that people have been so willing and eager to share.

No one I've met has been Christian, unless I knew them through Christian connections. It certainly makes me wonder. I mean, I've had to explain my faith to a lot of people, which is good for me (and hopefully for them), but I can't help but wonder why I encounter so few Christians. Are they just not opening up their homes via CouchSurfing? Have I only CouchSurfed with a small minority? I dunno.

In any case, I've been learning a lot. I've learned to live with little and with plenty, taking a lesson from the Apostle Paul. I'm also becoming more and more convinced that people are generally good. When left alone, people get worse and are positive that they don't like each other. But when people interact, their depth is revealed. They become worthwhile.

No comments: