Monday, April 14, 2014

April 13 Cont'd

I'm on the train to Rome (I think). I'm very tired. Friday night, I went to a house party with my CouchSurfing host, a freshman at the university in Vienna studying psychology. She introduced me to her friends and it was great fun, until we stayed out. So late. I'm not used to it. We arrived back at her apartment close to dawn (6am) and went to sleep, only to wake up around 11am, I with a hangover. I had put my clothes in her washing machine that Friday afternoon, but after going out and everything, I hadn't set them out to dry till Saturday's wakeup. This wouldn't be such a problem except that she had to leave for a flight on Sunday morning at 4am. Consequently, I had to pack up my barely damp clothes and take them with me to walk Vienna from about 6:30pm to 4am. Not wanting to trouble her anymore, I instead went to sleep at the train station and learned that it's closed from 1-4am. So here I am now, going on my third night of poor sleep, to be followed up with at least one more before I finally make it to the Greek island of Santorini.
In all my wandering in the night, I met two drunk Portuguese men who offered to let me stay at their place, provided that I could find somewhere to put my bags and go clubbing with them until 5am. I had them sign the Juice Journal but told them that it really wouldn't work out. I met a German later that night while walking among drunks (Vienna is one of the safest cities in the world, so drunks abound without fear) and, upon seeing my backpack, asked if I as a backpacker. When I told him I was, he informed me that he had backpacked in the States for a full year without ever paying for accommodations, and would like to help me do the same. He gave me his number but had similar conditions, that sleep would not come until 5am.

Right now, I am sitting with a Pakistani friend I made through mutual desire to board the train to Rome. He speaks little English but talks it up with his other Pakistani friends. Racial profiling is strong within me now. It is almost 11pm and I just want to sleep. Yes, the ticket man just came by, thereby ridding me of my fears that I had needed a reservation to be here. I think the Pakistani guys are getting off before Rome, 'cause they've been standing and walking around constantly, and talking between themselves and on their phones. OR MAYBE I DONT SOUND AS CRAZY WHEN I SAY THAT THEYRE GONNA BLOW UP THIS TRAIN!!!

Update: the situation has become laughable. Taliban (obviously) guys came into our cabin, turbans and beards and voices loud, thus disturbing our slumber. Then a human came up and quoted reserved seats to us, displacing only the strong American patriot and allowing the terrorists to stay. Then I moved to another cabin and was once again ousted. So now I am sitting (and will be "sleeping") on one of the "chairs" that folds out from the wall. Also, a baby is screaming. And someone is playing loud Turkish music (screaming) out loud on their phone. Like, all of us are obviously just trying to sleep, and they're adding to EVERYTHING ELSE. Whatever I am intended to learn this Palm Sunday, I hope I'm learning it and that God will finish this lesson soon. 

No comments: