Sunday, September 8, 2013

Choices And Decisions

I successfully moved to part-time at my job. They wanted someone to work full-time, so once they find someone to replace me, they're gonna let me go. This should take a month or two.

I knew that something had to happen, to change. Hopefully, this will work for now. I knew that I needed to get out of working full-time. But here's the thing. I'm only working the job to look impressive for medical schools. I'm only on the verge of completing the application process now (I began it five months ago).

I went to Arkansas this weekend. I got to hang out with my friend Criston, who's in a band called Criston and Caleb. They're Christian and good at what they do, and they are releasing a $35,000 album this year. Anyway, Criston and I get along really well, and he told me he would want to get an apartment with me, and after a moment of consideration, he offered for me to stay at his parents' house with him. His parents apparently have medical connections as well. In addition, the vast majority of my current friends are living in Arkansas now...

I just kinda don't know what to do. I'm blessed and privileged to be at the job I have, but I don't want it. I feel like I'm being cheated on the pay. I don't have any peer interaction in Texas. All of my local friends are kinda in bad places right now (or they're married).

The biggest problem I'm finding with my job isn't the hours, the pay, the environment, or even the commute. It just isn't fulfilling. I feel kinda stuck where I'm at.

But unlike with school, I now have options. Like, I'm not just forced to take whatever classes with whatever professor in order to get a degree. I can choose. So I'm aiming to shadow a physician and help out at my home church. Meanwhile,  I'm also considering moving to Arkansas and getting a part-time job there so I can grow as a human with interactions with people who are actually becoming better in their pursuit of God, but are also real people.

It all depends on medical school interviews. When and if I have them, that is what kinda needs to decide everything. I mean, I'm also tempted to ditch it all and go backpacking in Europe.

Basically, I just need God's direction. I'm even tempted to avoid getting a real job, since a trip to Europe in January is tempting to make into a real plan, and no one wants an employee who's only there for two months.

No comments: