Saturday, September 21, 2013

Catch A Content

I was in Fayetteville last night for Bikes Blues & BBQ, a big biker-themed fundraiser weekend festival thing. I stopped in one open patio bar with my friends and just looked around with the full moon, the lights strung across the enclosed area, a few stars making it through the light pollution of the city's sky. In truth, it was an uncomfortable moment because one of our group was drunkenly sitting and speaking with a group of guys (one of whom was her ex), and I was standing off a lil'.

Then I broke off from the group for a lil' bit, and on my way back to them, I stopped again to take in the sights. And I realized something. I was just taking in and appreciating being at that festival with friends, but at that moment, I was alone at this festival. The only thing that made that moment fill with happiness rather than loneliness was that I was content with where I was. I was almost tempted to feel the way I've been feeling back in Dallas or Rockwall, like I was utterly alone in all of it. The only difference, the only reason one being alone was better than the other was that one was accompanied by contentment. And I wonder if I could generate that kind of contentment within myself in Texas, if such a thing would be possible for me.

I have enough to cope now, I suppose. The friends that accompanied me to Disney World are moving to the Dallas area, so I'll get to see them on weekends. Others will be moving back in December.

And my job is nice now. Part-time, and they're wanting me to take up a few more creative things like their twitter/facebook accounts and a book of pictures of brain, skull, vertebra, and spinal cord things for the doctor to show patients what's screwed up in their bodies.

No comments: