Sunday, September 28, 2008

Servant's Heart

Alright, I waited too long to update. I'm six days behind. Let's see... Tuesday, I DIDN'T go to Early Morning Prayer ('cause I forgot and get tired). I went to Prototype, which, thank heavens, meets at Starbucks now, so when I wake up from my nap, and drive half-asleep to talk about God, I'm wide awake by the end of it. That Prototype was delicious. Caleb is asking real accountability questions, stuff that we actually deal with. This comes through his genius idea of asking us what we wanna be asked. I mentioned that I had had lots of talks with God about small groups, and he was like "Oh yeah, you're leading a junior high small group, right?", and I told him "no", and that I was working with God on getting back to a servant's heart.

The next day, we had the swearing in of the student council, which was a big day for me, 'cause I officially lost my title as president. *sigh*. My Myspace display name has once again been forced to change, and my lil' signature on all my emails had to change too. Now I'm a friggin' historian, which just means that I'm old and I wear spectacles (and call them "spectacles" instead of "glasses"). After school, I was trying to think of ways to help our Paradigm leaders out more (the servant's heart was gonna take some effort, right?), and the perfect opportunity arose when Pastor Tim asked the SLs to try to get to church early to help send out newsletter things. Lots of folding, stapling, and stamping was accomplished there. Cassie slacked off, so when I worked the Hot Spot, I was pretty alone. Pastor Nick asked me to take more pictures for the small group booklet, and I did so, which pleased his majesty. Sam pulled me to the side and warned me that Sarah, to whom I had been giving advice lately, was a manipulative person, who would try to feed of emotional highs, so I should watch out. I normally would disregard such talk, but this is coming from Sam, who's quite a reputable source, and doesn't like to make up rumors. Also, Shadow (our only black adult leader) asked me if I had gotten a haircut, and I realized that several church people had asked that very same question of me, and I think I found the answer to why. It's the small but important difference between bandanna-ing your hair, and straightening it.

Thursday, I came to realize that Mr. Harber had it out for me, at least that week. No matter who had been previously talking, or even who else was talking at the same time, I was the only one who got called out in class. Well, me and Jordan, but Jordan is kind of a given. Hopefully it'll stop next week, 'cause if it doesn't, then I'm just gonna quit listening to the stuff he says, read ahead in the book, understand it fully, then work on other things. In other news, I think I'm back on Mr. Beaumont's good side. I wrote a really good essay (with big words) that included a long description of myself (which I can't describe very accurately without a large vocabulary), and I'm pretty sure that he was impressed. After school, I mowed the yard at my dad's office (I hadn't mowed the week before, and my dad had told me that I would be grounded this week, but I asked for a way to be able to go to the movies on Friday, and he said that mowing at the office and at home would redeem my soul), then headed home to shower, and traveled off to Andrew's house to watch the season premier of The Office (POOR TOBY, YAY FOR JIM AND PAM, UNSURE ABOUT ANDY, ANGELLA, AND DWIGHT). After watching it, I talked with Cameron, Jillian, Zach Shey, and Andrew about the latest CFNI gossip. I knew more than Zach, and he freaked out about it. And we danced to a song by Kings Of Leon called "Sex On Fire", and debated whether it was describing an STD, a gender, or an uncomfortable way to go about the reproduction process. After we finished, I went home and perhaps fell asleep.

Friday, I went to school. Impressed? Mr. Beaumont quizzed us on quotes from an essay that we all read, but didn't memorize, so we didn't score as highly as we could have, had we known that memorizing the entire essay would get us the A that we wanted. Jordan and I discussed who else would go on our road trip, and we decided that Rush would be the choice, but then we rethought it, and came to agree that we'd have to see fruit from him first. 'Cause there's no doubt that he should be one of the people leading it. This would depend, of course, upon him actually leading in the right direction. After school, I went home, dilly-dallied, and planned to go play Hide-N'-Go Seek at 8:00 pm, but I fell asleep at 6:00 pm, and didn't wake up till the next day (which is an hour earlier than last week's Friday night).

Saturday, I woke up at 9:00 am, and I did little stupid things, watched as Alexandra prepared for homecoming with the help of Meagan Mulcher, who was dating Preston, but now I think they've broken up. I dunno. I got a text from Pastor Nick reminding small group leaders to come to their lil' orientation thing at second service, and I asked him if I should make an appearance, and replied "Duh". I went to see Eagle Eye with Jordan, Hiro, Michelle, and Rush. I told Michelle that since she was the only girl, she had to make comments about how cute Shia LeBeouf was, even if she didn't particularly favor his Jewish charm. She complied in the beginning, but gradually decided to form her own opinions (THE NERVE!). That was plenty fun. Then I went to spend the night at Jordan's house, and he, Hiro, and I talked some. Apparently Hiro had seen ghosts, and we explained how ghosts are demons, but he's having a tough time getting a grip on everything, so it's kinda tough for him. We left like fifteen voicemails on Michelle's phone on our way to Jordan's house ('cause what else would we do for twenty minutes?). By the time we got to Jordan's house, we were too tired to do anything, so we just went to sleep (retarded, huh?).

This morning (Sun- to the -day), I awoke at 8:00 am, thought that it was too early, despite not being tired, so I waited half an hour, then got up and got ready. I worked on helping Hiro to say the word "really" instead of saying "wee'wree". Then I was off to learn about small groups, and learn that I was apparently leading a junior high small group with Shayna and Kirk. I've been wanting to hang out with Shayna. Maybe her smarts from being 4th in her class at Rockwall High will rub off on me. Next was the SL meeting, followed by the SL lunch, which was held at the Meisters' own apartment. I'm working on getting to know these younger SLs. There are a bunch of new recruits, and they're all excited about Frank Peretti (that's likely to be a typo) and the movies based on his books. There's one movie that they talked about called "Bells of Innocence", and when they talked about it, I informed them that I have several roles in that movie, and they were amazed. I felt quite impressive too. Oh my, I flatter myself so!

4 comments:

Kate said...

You tag the dumbest things from your entries!

Ok, let me process through six days of words....
Sounds like the movie was fun, i'm glad michelle made up her own mind about Shia-Le-Buffy-Puffy-Powder-puff. He gets on my nerves big time.
And not to freak you out...but don't eliminate the idea that ghosts are ghosts. If you read the Bible for what it says on the matter, there isn't much for either opinion. C.S. Lewis talked about it in one of his books, and i think he has a good point on it.
But that's a conversation for starbucks during thanksgiving.
Shayna was fourth? Wow. That's awesome, she totally didn't let on.

A poor white middle class soul said...

I forgot to mention that on Wednesday, after Sam talked to me, I realized that I hadn't felt like I was pouring out when I talked to Sarah. Maybe, just maybe, I'm getting to be able to tell the difference between some false and true things, and maybe, AND THIS IS A LONG SHOT, maybe, I'm getting a small bit of Discernment. Just a thought.

Alyssa Kay said...

Gossip?
From CFNI?
That is undoubtedly one of the craziest things I've ever heard.
There's nada going on at CFNI.
Ever.
Except lots of silly drama. So nevermind.
YOU SPELLED Peretti CORRECTLY!

I saw Eagle Eye, and I'm happy to say Shia has lost all charm in my eyes.
Sorry, dude.
Perhaps if he were still Louis Stevens?

Rebekah Michaele said...

where are ye roadtrippin to? (i'm watching moby dick... hence the textual accent)

i happen to be planning a roadtrip myself. to bamaland (alabama...dothan to be precise) sometime in the early-mid january days.